December 31

Our family is preparing to ring in the new year in our new house!

As I type this, Caleb and Daisy are sound asleep. Chris is figuring out the thermostat and new washing machine. We're all adjusting to the new noises and smells and arrangement of our things. I have to admit: I'm terrified. Apparently it's not just the kids who thrive on routine; I need it, too. I know that we'll find our new normal, and I know everything will be ok. But we lived in that old house for six and a half years. I brought one baby home from the hospital to that house; I brought another baby into the world in that house. I worked there and slept there and played there. This move has left my world a little bit shaken.

The kids are a little shaken, too. All evening, Caleb kept asking, "Can we go home?" At one point I went to retrieve some items from Chris' car, and Caleb raced to the door, shouting, "NOW we can go home!" We tried and tried to prepare him, but he just doesn't understand yet that this IS home now.

Amazingly, things are mostly in their spots now. Yes, there are boxes to be unpacked, but we had a gabillion more friends and family helping us today than we did yesterday. It took them less than an hour to unpack the truck. It went so quickly that I didn't even have time to think about photographing the process.

Instead, here's what I have:

Caleb, playing a little guitar before bedtime.

Daisy was eager to celebrate the new year!
(That's orange and chicken pot pie smeared all over her face. And hands. And shirt. And pants. Oh boy. Better figure out this new washing machine soon!)

"Is this how we celebrate, brother?"
Caleb's a pro at celebrating the new year! Remember last year?
And the year before?

We had glow sticks and champagne and festive hats. Now, Chris and I are stumbling to bed. 2011 was an amazing year for us: a trip to Mexico, a beautiful baby girl (born at home!), a new home... maybe 2012 will be a little bit less eventful! Eventful or not, we are thanking God for His many blessings. What a good year it was! I know this next one will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment